Thursday, April 28, 2011

RHS Rhone

On the cruise we went scuba diving off the island Tortola. We dove the RHS Rhone which had the distinct honor of being the second ship deemed unsinkable. After this ship sank they quit calling ships unsinkable. Steve was really excited about the dive and I of course was not as excited. I get really worried about my ears being able to clear and that I will make a fatal mistake while diving. This dive was also 85 feet down and that had me worried. But I was able to descend with no problems and the visibility was great.




The handle of the dive camera broke right before the dive so Steve was the one responsible for the pictures. I feel bad that I couldn't take his picture. Not that we look so great in our dive gear.
They tried to take off in a Hurricane and hit a rock which tore a hole in the ship and when the cold water hit the hot boilers they exploded. The sad thing is since this ship was unsinkable they had just transferred a bunch of people from another ship which safely made it through the hurricane. The ship sunk in 30 seconds which is a good thing since all the passengers were tied down in their beds for the night. That thought makes me crazy.

This is one of the boilers that blew up.


I can't believe Steve even spotted this fish since he blends in so well. This was a two tank dive and one of my favorite. I can't wait for the next one.

2 comments:

Heather said...

This looks really pretty, but there is still no way you could get me to do this!

Karen said...

You are so brave to do this. That's so sad about this ship sinking and transferring people to it thinking it was unsinkable. Best not to call ships unsinkable!