Thursday, February 5, 2009

Greg's Hump Day

What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time the emotions were flying. Greg was so excited to go to Brazil to teach the gospel. It was something

we had looked forward to since he was born. We always talked about when he went on his mission, but I didn't realize how hard it would be to not see him for

two years. He flew directly to Brazil to the CTM down there. (Yes they do call it the CTM) I've heard dropping them off at the airport is easier then the MTC.


Taryn was the only one that came to the airport with us. We had a big breakfast that morning and Heather and Taylor said their goodbyes at home. I held up pretty good until I saw him walk through security. Heading home Steve was really supportive and even went to IKEA with me. That night I had the bright idea of going down to his room



cleaning it up a bit. I would not suggest that to anyone. Actually I would avoid their room for a couple of weeks. I was having a weird emotion that I had never experienced before. Finally a neighbor put a name to it. It is bittersweet, you would not want them anywhere else, but you still miss them. Greg is loving his mission and will not admit to being out for a year. He picked up the language easy and is working so hard. It's wonderful to see his testimony grow. I am worried that I will have to go to Brazil and drag him home in a year. I've heard from other missionary moms that the last year goes by fast. I hope that is true.




2 comments:

Karen said...

It doesn't seem like it's been a year, but it probably does to you. Hope this next year goes really fast and he continues to have a successful mission.

Leisa said...

Time sure does fly. It just seems like a few months ago you e-mialed me saying he had gotten his mission call. It probably makes it easier knowing that he is enjoyijg it so much.