Monday, August 24, 2009

Road trip to Georgia


Much to our dismay we loaded up the moving truck last Monday and Tuesday afternoon me and Steve took off to Georgia. This is how big we were. We pulled up by an eighteen wheeler and we were about 2 feet shorter. Being this big made the trip very interesting. Also when you are towing a vehicle you can't back up, so we had to be very careful about the exits we took and where we gased up and where we stayed the night.

In a car the trip is supposed to take 31 hours. In a moving truck the trip took 40 hours. I have never enjoyed road trips and was not excited about this one, but me and Steve had a great time.
I thought it was a beautiful drive once we left Wyoming. Missouri really surprised me at how green it was. In my mind I had always pictured it dry and ugly. Maybe because of the way they treated the early mormons. We loved seeing all the cool old barns and I would love to go back and photograph them.
We thought this sign was pretty funny. At times we felt like we were nowhere.
We would get up and leave the motel by six and drive until 9:oo. Luckily for us their are alot of rest stops along the way. We could only ride for about 2 hours and then we had to stretch our legs.
I got a GPS for christmas and this tool will save or marriage and allow us to go on road trips. We hit St. Louis and I was driving. Because of road construction they had a detour through the city. We were going all over and would have been completely lost without the GPS. It was scary for me to drive and at one time I had to get across three lanes of traffic in about 20 seconds. Not easy in a car, but in the truck it was scary. Luckily I did and we made it through.
I can't wait to drive it again, although this time in a car. Georgia is really pretty and the people we meet were so nice and friendly. I guess it's that southern hospitality coming out. Kevin found a nice little three-bedroom home to rent in a quiet neighborhood. It's a college town and they have the busiest wal-mart in Georgia. I will be grateful for our quiet wal-mart in Cedar Hills. The ward is so nice and alot of people dropped over on Saturday with food and to welcome them into the ward. We meet one of their cute neighbors on a walk and she had the best accent. I love the way they talk. I wish Heather and Kevin the best and I think they will really love the time they spend in Georgia. That is if they get used to the humidity.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sounds like you got to see a lot of country. Aren't you glad it was one way and you got to fly home. We wish them all the best - sounds like they're off to a good start. Now you'll need to use those frequent flyer miles to see them often!