Monday, September 14, 2009

I did it!

When we built the cabin our dream was to have a stone fireplace run through the middle of the cabin to the top. We even had the floor of the basement reinforced so we could do it. We had someone give us the bid and when we were told it would be $25,000.00 to do it we realized that our pocket book would not allow that dream. So we thought that it would look nice to rock the outside of the basement. We had just become empty nesters so when Steve went to Florida I decided that I would rather be alone out at the cabin then here in Cedar Hills and that I would put up the rocks. Steve did help me get the first couple of rows in and we gathered enough rocks we thought to finish it. So the next week I drove out and started working some more on it. Since they are real rocks I had to be picky about where they would go because they had to rest on the rock below it. So I would pick up a rock and walk it all the way around seeing if it would fit anywhere. Most of the time it would not and I would start again with another rock. After doing a couple of rows I would have to let them set and really dry. It was fun at the first but towards the end I was tired of it.
Luckily my mom came over one day to help. I was almost out of rocks so she helped me gather some more of them and then spent about 5 hours scrubbing the grout off the rocks I had already put up. I'm so grateful for her help. This weekend I finished the last couple of rows and started to grout between them. Of course we had not bought enough mortar and had to do a quick trip to Park City on Friday night to get some more. Saturday Steve was able to help me finish grouting between them.
It was so much work and I hope my back recovers from it, but it looks great. I can't believe I did it. And the grand total was around $80.00. Not too bad.

4 comments:

Karen said...

WOW - $80 vs. $25,000!!! Can't believe the before and after pictures. It looks amazing. You should be so proud of yourself. Does Steve realize what a great gal he married?

Live Well With Judi said...

The wall looks amazing! You are an amazing worker! And so brave to take on such an challenge. It saved you a ton of $ I am sure and looks better than if some professional would have done it! Great job!!

Heather said...

It looks beautiful, as does everything you guys do up there. I'm glad your mom will work for you, because I know my mom can always work for me too. That didn't make sense, but I just love having women who just get things done in our family, it's a good example to me to just take care of my stuff too.

Heather Westover said...

Impressive!! Looks like your hard work paid off! I love the before and after picture, what a change!