Saturday, September 17, 2011

I blame my parents.

We were lucky this week and got to go to the cabin Wednesday after I worked. Our goal this week was to paint the wood stove in the sheep camp and put in a new floor. When we were done with that we were going to rest and relax and just enjoy being up there. Wednesday I did relax and after cleaning up all the flies. (That is the part I hate about Fall up there) I just relaxed and laid around. Meanwhile Steve went on a four-wheeler ride up to the troughs to see if any of the cows were still up there and saw a herd of elk with a huge bull. He said they were running really hard, so he started to look around to see what they were running from and saw a huge bear. He was a long way away so he wasn't worried. I told him that when he goes alone on these rides is when he sees things. Thursday morning we took a long ride up Rhodes Canyon looking for cows, then went down to visit with my Mom and I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the cabin and cooking dinner. Friday morning we were up early and I was ready to do something. Two days of not accomplishing anything was killing me. I helped Steve get the stove out of the sheep camp and then hauled 15 wheelbarrows of dirt to cover up where we had run the sprinkler lines and thought I would work a little bit on the top half of the rock wall.

This time we used bigger rocks from the field. It only took about 10 trips in the ranger to get all the rocks. We have worked that vehicle to death and at times had it so loaded down with rocks that Steve had a hard time getting it to turn. Once I got going I knew I had to finish it this weekend. I think it looks great and to think that it cost nothing. The test will come next spring seeing if it will hold up. Steve laughed at me and told me that he knew I wouldn't wait until next year to finish this wall. I blame my parents for teaching me how to work and not be lazy. Now we just need to lay some gravel down on the four-wheeler road and we are good.

Steve put this new floor in the Sheep-Camp and it looks much better then the old one. We ran out of paint for the stove so pictures of that will come later.

1 comment:

Karen said...

That rock wall looks amazing. I think learning to work hard is a pretty good trait to pass down to your kids! I think you know when to relax and enjoy yourself too!