Thursday, September 9, 2010

A bear are you kidding!

I'm sure many of you have heard about our bear sighting at the cabin this weekend. Here are the details. Me and Steve went out to the cabin Thursday afternoon. Friday night our friends the Krugers came out. Saturday morning I ran back to Cedar Hills to attend the wedding luncheon of our friends the Bates. Their daughter Jessica got married. In the meantime the Hudgins and Greg and Lauren went out to the cabin. I got back around 3:00 and soon after the Hudgins and Steve, Greg and Lauren came back from a four-wheeler ride. We were sitting out on the deck eating some yummy homemade salsa and visiting. After about an hour the men left and it was just us women talking. We got up and headed back inside the cabin when I happened to glance out in the field. Between our two pines trees I thought I saw a bear walking. I said to Ali "what animal is that" She replied "A Bear". I ran into the cabin to get the binoculars the whole time screaming "A Bear, A Bear". Everyone came running out to the deck to see it. When we couldn't see it from the deck we decided to head down to the river and look. Yes I know it wasn't smart and to top it off me and Lauren had our flip flops on. My thought in all of this is I just have to run faster then Larry who was leading the pack. I hung towards the back worrying about running in flip-flops. We searched all over and couldn't find it. We then had the brighter idea to get on the four-wheelers and search up the canyon for it. While I was getting my shoes on (yes I do have a brain), Larry had taken off on his four-wheeler. Steve figured that the noise would scare the bear off and we would diminish our chance of seeing it again, so he stayed home and Greg and Lauren joined me in the ranger and Talithia rode her four-wheeler. We crossed the river and just up a the hill Larry had stopped and was pointing towards the river. We stopped and immediately Greg and Lauren saw the bear. I had a harder time finding him with the camera. Luckily I did get that shot of it. Talithia said while we were pointing and screaming the bear turned and looked right at us. I wish I could have got a shot of that. He just kept heading along the river and up the valley. We followed on the four-wheelers but didn't get another chance at a picture. Lauren and Greg spotted it again, but I couldn't find it in the camera. Larry guessed it to weigh about 350 lbs. It was a full grown bear. We named him Fred in honor of Greg's friend. I never thought I would see a bear that close to the cabin right in the middle of the day. I hope it's the last time I do. The scary part is he was right by the head gate that Steve is always opening and closing.
With all the excitement we didn't get dinner going until late that night. The Hudgins left that night. Steve got up early Sunday to fulfill his new calling as High Priest Group Leader back in Cedar Hills. The rest of us stayed and attended Church in Tabionia. That afternoon we laid around talking and reading. It was nice to be able to relax and do nothing.

Greg and Lauren had to go home that night. Greg had to work on Labor Day and Lauren needed to get things ready for teaching.


That night we drove up the switch backs to check the troughs for my mom. We alway like an excuse to use the four-wheelers. The ranger was perfect for Ali with her hurt foot.
I think the Krugers should use this as there Christmas card. The view is beautiful.
I don't think me and Steve will be using this one. The view is great but not so much the outfit.

The next day Chris and Bubba helped Steve move some of the old pipes that were sitting by the river. It looks much better. It was a busy but fun weekend and made more enjoyable spending time with friends and family. It never matters how long we are up there we always hate coming home.

2 comments:

Lace said...

Haha! There you go with your premeditated escape again. That is so cool that you had your camera this time! Woo!

Karen said...

Exciting trip - maybe a bit too exciting!