Thursday, March 19, 2009

Opening or trying to open the cabin

Last weekend me and Steve went out to the cabin to open it up for the season. When we went up in January there wasn't alot of snow so we thought the road to the cabin would be pretty free of snow. The road over the mountain was closed so we went the long way. Strawberry had alot of snow but as soon as we hit the Basin it was pretty clear of snow. We were feeling good about getting into the cabin. As soon as we crossed the cattle-guard onto my families property we got worried. There was more snow on the ground then there was in January. We got to the turn off of our road and knew there was no way we could drive in. We saw Tom's grader so I got out to walk to the cabin and Steve drove up to Tom's to ask if he could grade our road for us so we could drive in. Steve took off up the hill and I started my walk to the cabin. Looking at some of the tracks in the snow on my way got me a little freaked out. Some of them definitely looked like they had claws. I made it to the cabin
safe and sound and started to get it ready to stay in. An hour later I saw Steve's truck come down the hill and a little later Tom's truck. I kept cleaning and after another hour and still no Steve I decided to walk back out and see what was happening. Tom had his grater out and tried and tried to clear it, but it was no match for the amount of snow. Steve said he got it stuck about eight times and they had to chain it up and pull it out with his son's 18-wheeler. I told him we can just load up the four-wheelers and get the stuff in the cabin and wait for the snow to melt in a couple of weeks. This is the view from the road where they tried to clear the snow. It doesn't get alot of sun so we may be walking in for a month.

We were able to pull the truck down to Mom's ranch house and load up the four-wheelers. We had bought a headboard and footboard for our King-size bed. I figured we would haul it back out to the house and wait for a few weeks, but not my husband. We loaded the pieced onto the four-wheelers. We had to sit on them because they were so big. The field still had alot of snow in it and Steve informed me that it was best not to go to slow in the snow with all that weight.

Steve went first and I had a hard time not laughing watching us bounce over the snow with these big boxes on the four-wheelers. We made it with no problems and I guess if Steve loses his job we could start a new red-necked moving company with four-wheelers. After a few trips we had the truck un-loaded and were able to enjoy the weekend. We also decided it was a good time to burn our piles of wood we had gathered this fall. Much safer then doing it in the fall. Hopefully next weekend we will be able to drive in.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Can't believe there's still that much snow. Sounds like Steve is a pretty determined guy. Hopefully it'll melt soon and you can get in a little easier.