Monday, March 30, 2009

Taryn turns 23

Friday was Taryn's 23rd birthday. It's amazing how fast 23 years fly by. Taryn is our California baby. She was born in San Jose while Steve was working for FMC.
We had made arrangements with a couple of friends to tend Heather while I was in the hospital. I started getting contractions and called the hospital. They told me to stay home until the contractions became regular. We didn't listen and dropped Heather off at our friends and then headed to the hospital. It was later at night so traffic was light. Which in San Jose is a huge blessing. We made it to the hospital but I was having a hard time walking into the labor and

delivery room. They checked me and I was dilated to an 8. They broke my water and right after Taryn was born. We had been at the hospital for 30 minutes. I'm so grateful we didn't listen when they told us to stay home and wait for the contractions to become regular. Taryn weighed in at 9lbs and 7 ozs. She had a headful of black hair and was adorable. She was an easy going baby and at 4 days old slept through her first earthquake.

Heather immediately took over as the big sister and would talk for Taryn. Needless to say Taryn didn't talk much. We would go eat out and Taryn would look at Heather and Heather would then order for Taryn. The only time Taryn made me crazy was when she would have to decide on what candy bar she wanted at a store.


She will graduate from the University of Utah in Theraputic Recreation this spring. She has worked hard to get her degree and in addition to keeping her grades up and getting a scholarship she has also worked the whole time. She is a beautiful girl both inside and out and I'm proud to be her mother. Happy birthday Taryn!



2 comments:

Karen said...

Can't believe she's 23 already and graduating from college. Good thing you got to the hospital in time or she would probably have been one of those babies born in the car on the way to the hospital that you hear about on the news!

Karen said...

Sorry Leisa, I posted twice. I didn't notice your approval comment and thought it didn't post. You can delete one of them.